I love my hot matcha lattes, so so much. Even in this steamy August weather. There is no day too hot for my latte. But there are those times when I want a little boost after practice, and a cool creamy treat seems like just the thing. This simple soft serve (aka smoothie you eat with a spoon) hits the spot without sending me on a coffee bender and subsequent crash. And it makes the dog days of summer just a little more bearable. All hail matcha and frozen bananas!
I used a protein powder I happened to have around, but I don’t have a favorite. Protein powders are so personal. Just choose one you like, sub for straight hemp powder (which is gritty, but very simple with no artificial flavors or stevia) or even sub for a couple of tablespoons of nut butter.
If you prefer a creamy treat that’s not quite as frosty (Ayurveda types I’m looking at you) take out the ice and add avocado to taste. In fact, you can add avocado even if you do use ice, for a thicker texture.
If you prefer a sweeter treat, one juicy medjool date will do the trick, or a teaspoon or two of honey or maple syrup.
- 1 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 frozen banana
- 1-1 1/2tsp matcha powder
- 1tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 1cup Ice
- 1 serving protein powder of choiceI like straight hemp powder, but it can be gritty, choose your favorite
- 2Tbsp. nut butter, optionalIf you don't want protein powder, this can add density
- 1handful Raw Spinachoptional, but great for starting your day wth greens
- Blend well, top with crunchy things as desired and serve!